Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Moment of Beauty


In the cold, drizzly weather of an Oregon November, the majority of leaves on the ground have been reduced to brownish yellow mush. So this one blazed out to me like a torch.




Why does a simple leaf, the merest speck in the massive cycle of season change, attract my attention? Is it the brilliant color? The contrast of red and green is somewhat unusual and striking, like a fantastic kind of fire. Perhaps it’s the symbolism: the leaf is the most beautiful as it dies.

            I don’t believe it’s a coincidence of brain chemistry that draws humans to beautiful “useless” things. Paintings, songs, stories…and pretty dying leaves. They seem to serve no purpose in day to day survival, yet we would dread life without them. I believe it’s the image of our Creator in us. We love beautiful things because He does.

            I think part of what it means to be an artist is to always be on the lookout for these moments of beauty. Sometimes when I’m in the midst of creating a story or picture, what brings me the most delight is a simple thing: an image, a word, or a smudge of color…something that stands out against the dull background as bright and fiery and true. Those are the things I am most eager to share, and I wonder if anyone else will feel what I do: that these moments of beauty are glimpses of God’s glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment