Sunday, April 6, 2014

In Courage!

    This weekend as I was quietly sinking into despair and considering the merits of becoming a hermitess in the woods...

    (Everyone has those moments, right?)

    ...The Lord kindly lifted my head and reminded me that I don't have to try to do this crazy artist/storyteller life on my own.
    The awesome truth that He is always with me also means that He always provides what I need for the task He gives me.

    One of the sweetest provisions is companions. I believe every artist of every variety should be in a circle of like-minded friends. The benefits of artistic support groups will require a much longer post than I'm writing today.

    I've heard the word "Encourage" described as "to open up someones heart and put courage into it". That is a great picture of what good companions can do.

    I don't think I would have become as confident and skilled an artist as I am now without the years of free oil-painting classes given by a kind and talented artist who spoke a lot of courage into me, as did my much older classmates.
    I don't think I would have ever displayed much art publicly if I wasn't involved with a community arts group who challenge and cheer me on.
    I doubt I would have e-published a novel without the companionship and helpful words of the fantastic friends I've met through my church's writers group.

    All these people have placed courage in my heart, and I thank the Lord for them. I hope Jesus will teach me more and more how to give back the gift of companionship and place courage in the hearts of my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment