Sunday, May 18, 2014

Camera Crazy

The digital camera must be the best invention of modern times. Okay, one of the best.
      It's been my invaluable assistant in many artistic endeavors. I keep hundreds of photos in envelopes and files on my laptop--everything from colorful peppers to magnificent shots of Mount Hood--whatever catches my eye. Many of my pictures aren't exactly stellar photography. Blurry, too distant, poor color quality, etc. I often just use them as a starting point for a drawing or painting. But sometimes they're pretty good art in their own right, and I thought I'd share a gallery of some favorites.






This shot of a plant-which-I-cannot-identify was taken on Easter Morning. I think the way the light turns it into a sort of green sunburst perfectly conveys the joy of new life.




Oh, how I love the very short but very beautiful blooming of our pink cherry tree!



I've heard it said that the key to pet portraits is eye contact. This is one of our recent kittens, which will soon be up for adoption. Are you tempted???




I love flowers. Look at that perky little yellow cap!




And did I mention I love flowers?




This picture was the basis for a watercolor painting called "Coffee and Inspiration: Summer Fruits". The funny thing is, it was actually shot in winter.




Huckleberry blossoms. Something about the blurriness of the foreground creates a sense of motion I really like.



My sister Starla was having fun striking dramatic poses in her new costume cloak. I should crop the left edge and that obtrusive head of grass.




I love this curvy stretch of road by our property, and often take pictures along it.




My dad's old guitar. It broke shortly after this (not my fault!!!).




This scene in Trojan Park attracted me. The stump looks like a stage, inviting some mystical performer.




A trip to Trillium Lake (Near Mount Hood) yielded lots of lovely views, but I also liked this weathered old sign.




This is another Trillium Lake picture. My only problem with it is that the rock on the right doesn't look as stark white as it did in real life.




Trillium Lake again. I think this is one case of blurriness enhancing a photo, giving it a magical quality.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, Dawnna! You are a talented photographer. Why am I not surprised? You gifted gal, you! :) And that plant, in your first picture is a Lupine. One of my favorite flowers. Can't wait to see more of your art at the show.

    ReplyDelete