Sunday, June 8, 2014

Art Show Reception Highlights

Photo by Twila Pearson
I stood in the sunlight pouring through the glass front of the Sandy Chamber of Commerce building, enjoying the beautiful weather that graced the town-wide festival of First Friday, while staying deliciously cool in the building’s air-conditioned interior. I smiled eagerly at the people who came in to see my work.
Doing a solo art show was something I had to be lovingly nagged, prodded, and pushed into. There were hurdles to overcome, like my procrastination, my near-utter lack of knowledge regarding framing, and my tendency to panic and want to give up. My friends and family saw me through to the end, with loads of advice and assistance.
Ultimately, I’m so very glad I got talked into doing the show. I haven’t sold a big piece of artwork yet (just a few small prints), but I made a lot of contacts with people at the reception, and had great fun.

Some highlights:

*Being made completely comfortable and at home by the Chamber staff. I felt like I partly owned the place that evening. It was a cozy, intimate space where I didn’t feel outlandish going barefoot.
Photo by Twila Pearson
*Friends and family came, hugged, talked, and lit up my heart.
*A stream of unique individuals flowed through—quite a treat for a people-watcher like myself. I hope I didn’t scare anyone with the way I kept peering furtively at them and grinning. It was just sheer delight to see people enjoying my art.
*Overhearing a little girl trying to bribe her dad into buying my unicorn painting for her. (“Well, if I keep my room clean for the next five years…”)
*Feeling connected with the Sandy community.
*Being inspired that this is exactly what I want to be doing: getting art to people.
*Having the privilege to tell people that my abilities are a gift from God.


By the end, my legs were stiff from standing for three hours, my cheeks were sore from smiling, and I was was FULL in every good sense.

If you happen to be in the area, the show will be on display until June 27. The Chamber is on Pioneer Blvd and open every day of the week from 9 to 5. (See previous post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment