Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Season of Clarity


Come mid-September, I’m desperate. Like an old pair of jeans fraying apart at the seams, I’ve reached my limit. The heat, chores, parties, events, and activities have worn me out. Summer keeps trying to push on just a little longer, and I can almost hear the threads snapping. My energy is low, my creativity drained.
Then, all of a sudden, I smell it on the breeze. That rich, crisp scent that announces Autumn’s arrival. I walk through the woods and rejoice to see patches of orange and red amongst the green. This season of beautiful death brings my creativity to life again. The nights grow colder, making the warmth of the days precious. My body and mind are refreshed.
Perhaps the sweetness of Autumn comes from the clarity that death brings. In the haze of Summer, I only want to get through one more day. But in Autumn, I am aware of the big picture again. I remember how the seasons turn, and how death brings about life.
Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. (2 Corinthians 4:16)


No comments:

Post a Comment